[openstack-dev] [oslo] oslo.serialization and oslo.concurrency graduation call for help

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Jul 22 19:24:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014, at 06:38 AM, Yuriy Taraday wrote:
> Hello, Ben.
>
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The oslo.serialization and oslo.concurrency graduation specs are both
> > approved, but unfortunately I haven't made as much progress on them as I
> > would like.  The serialization repo has been created and has enough acks
> > to continue the process, and concurrency still needs to be started.
> >
> > Also unfortunately, I am unlikely to make progress on either over the
> > next two weeks due to the tripleo meetup and vacation.  As discussed in
> > the Oslo meeting last week
> > (
> > http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/oslo/2014/oslo.2014-07-18-16.00.log.html
> > )
> > we would like to continue work on them during that time, so Doug asked
> > me to look for volunteers to pick up the work and run with it.
> >
> > The current status and next steps for oslo.serialization can be found in
> > the bp:
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/graduate-oslo-serialization
> >
> > As mentioned, oslo.concurrency isn't started and has a few more pending
> > tasks, which are enumerated in the spec:
> >
> > http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/oslo-specs/plain/specs/juno/graduate-oslo-concurrency.rst
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.  I'm happy to pick this back up in a
> > couple of weeks, but if someone could shepherd it along in the meantime
> > that would be great!
> >

> I would be happy to work on graduating oslo.concurrency as well as
> improving it after that. I like fiddling with OS's, threads and races :)
> I can also help to finish work on oslo.serialization (it looks like some
> steps are already finished there).
>
> What would be needed to start working on that? I haven't been following
> development of processes within Oslo. So I would need someone to answer
> questions as they arise.

The basic process is described in
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/CreatingANewLibrary, although there
are usually differences for each library as we have to do things like
tighten up the API. We can help with those parts after we have the new
repository, which is one of the more time-consuming aspects of the
graduation process, so if you were able to work on that it would be a
huge help.

Thanks,
Doug