[openstack-dev] [glance] Use Launcher/ProcessLauncher in glance

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 02:37:06 UTC 2014

On 07/17/2014 03:07 AM, Tailor, Rajesh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Why glance is not using Launcher/ProcessLauncher (oslo-incubator) for
> its wsgi service like it is used in other openstack projects i.e. nova,
> cinder, keystone etc.

Glance uses the same WSGI service launch code as the other OpenStack
project from which that code was copied: Swift.

> As of now when SIGHUP signal is sent to glance-api parent process, it
> calls the callback handler and then throws OSError.
>
> The OSError is thrown because os.wait system call was interrupted due to
> SIGHUP callback handler.
>
> As a result of this parent process closes the server socket.
>
> All the child processes also gets terminated without completing existing
> api requests because the server socket is already closed and the service
> doesn’t restart.
>
> Ideally when SIGHUP signal is received by the glance-api process, it
> should process all the pending requests and then restart the glance-api
> service.
>
> If (oslo-incubator) Launcher/ProcessLauncher is used in glance then it
> will handle service restart on ‘SIGHUP’ signal properly.
>
> Can anyone please let me know what will be the positive/negative impact
> of using Launcher/ProcessLauncher (oslo-incubator) in glance?

Sounds like you've identified at least one good reason to move to
oslo-incubator's Launcher/ProcessLauncher. Feel free to propose patches
which introduce that change to Glance. :)

> Thank You,
>
> Rajesh Tailor
> Disclaimer:This email and any attachments are sent in strictest
> confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally
> privileged, confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to
> this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments
> without any further use, copying or forwarding

Please advise your corporate IT department that the above disclaimer on
your emails is annoying, is entirely disregarded by 99.999% of the real
world, has no legal standing or enforcement, and may be a source of
problems with people's mailing list posts being sent into spam boxes.

All the best,
-jay