[openstack-dev] [Heat] Introducing Re-Heat

Ayenson, Michael D. Michael.Ayenson at jhuapl.edu
Fri Jul 18 13:19:22 UTC 2014

Hello All,

My name is Mika Ayenson and I have to privilege to intern at Johns Hopkins - Applied Physics Lab. I'm really excited to  release the latest proof of concept "Re-Heat"  Re-Heat is a JHUAPL developed tool for OpenStack users to help them quickly rebuild their OpenStack environments via OpenStack's Heat .

Here is a link to the Re-Heat paper: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzTq-ZB9F-b9b0ZXdy1PT2t3dk0&authuser=0
Here is a link to Re-Heat: https://github.com/Mikaayenson/ReHeat

I have included the abstract to our paper here:

Abstract

OpenStack has experienced tremendous growth since its initial release just over four years ago.  Many of the enhancements, such as the Horizon interface and Heat, facilitate making complex network environment deployments in the cloud from scratch easier.  The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab (JHU/APL) has been using the OpenStack environment to conduct research, host proofs-of-concepts, and perform testing & experimentation.  Our experience reveals that during the environment development lifecycle users and network architects are constantly changing the environments (stacks) they originally deployed.  Once development has reached a point at which experimentation and testing is prudent, scientific methodology requires recursive testing be conducted to determine the repetitiveness of the phenomena observed.  This requires the same entry point (an identical environment) into the testing cycle.  Thus, it was necessary to capture all the changes made to the initial environment during the development phase and modify the original Heat template.  However, OpenStack has not had a tool to help automate this process.  In response, JHU/APL developed a poof-of-concept automation tool called "Re-Heat," which this paper describes in detail.
I hope you all enjoy this as I have truly enjoyed playing with HEAT and developing Re-Heat.

Cheers,
Mika Ayenson