[openstack-dev] [nova] fair standards for all hypervisor drivers

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 09:04:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:38:44PM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 07/16/2014 11:59 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> >On 07/16/2014 07:27 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>
> >>This is a really good point. As someone who has to deal with packaging
> >>issues constantly, it is odd to me that libvirt is one of the few places
> >>where we depend on upstream packaging. We constantly pull in new python
> >>dependencies from pypi that are not packaged in ubuntu. If we had to
> >>wait for packaging before merging the whole system would grind to a halt.
> >>
> >>I think we should be updating our libvirt version more frequently vy
> >>installing from source or our own ppa instead of waiting for the ubuntu
> >>team to package it.
> >
> >Shrinking in terror from what I'm about to say ... but I actually agree
> >with this, There are SEVERAL logistical issues we'd need to sort, not
> >the least of which involve the actual mechanics of us doing that and
> >properly gating,etc. But I think that, like the python depends where we
> >tell distros what version we _need_ rather than using what version they
> >have, libvirt, qemu, ovs and maybe one or two other things are areas in
> >which we may want or need to have a strongish opinion.
> >
> >I'll bring this up in the room tomorrow at the Infra/QA meetup, and will
> >probably be flayed alive for it - but maybe I can put forward a
> >straw-man proposal on how this might work.
>
> How would this work...would you have them uninstall the distro-provided
> libvirt/qemu and replace them with newer ones?  (In which case what happens
> if the version desired by OpenStack has bugs in features that OpenStack
> doesn't use, but that some other software that the user wants to run does
> use?)

Having upstream testing the latest version of libvirt doesn't mean that
the latest version of libvirt is a mandatory requirement for distros. We
already have places where we use a feature of libvirt from say, 1.1.0, but
our reported min libvirt is still 0.9.6. In some cases Nova will take
alternative code paths for compat, in other cases attempts to use the
feature will just  be reported as an error to the caller.

> Or would you have OpenStack versions of them installed in parallel in an
> alternate location?

If the distros do not have the latest version of libvirt though, they are
responsible for running the OpenStack CI tests against their version and
figuring out whether it is still functional to the level they require to
satisfy their users/customers demands.

We're already in this situation today - eg gate now tests Ubuntu 14.04
with libvirt 1.2.2, but many people shipping OpenStack are certainly not
running on libvirt 1.2.2. So this is just business as usual for distros
and downstream vendors

Regards,
Daniel