[openstack-dev] [Nova][Scheduler] Requesting spec freeze exception: Smart (Solver) Scheduler spec

Yathiraj Udupi (yudupi) yudupi at cisco.com
Wed Jul 16 23:52:58 UTC 2014

Hi Nova cores,

I would like to request a spec freeze exception for our spec on Solver Scheduler – a constraint based scheduler framework.
Please see the spec here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96543/   ->  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96543/10/specs/juno/solver-scheduler.rst

This is for the blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/solver-scheduler.

Our working and tested code is currently available at this project repository:  https://github.com/CiscoSystems/nova-solver-scheduler
This feature would integrate easily with Nova or the split out scheduler Gantt.  This would be non-disruptive as it is a pluggable scheduler driver.

This blueprint was approved for Icehouse, and a lot of code patches were submitted as part of the Icehouse time frame.  It had missed the feature freeze deadline then.  And now for Juno we have had to re-submit it here as a nova-spec for review.

The first code patch with the basic framework, the SolverScheduler driver  - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/46588/ has already gone through several iterations of code reviews as part of Icehouse, and will need minimal changes now.  The other dependent  patches that are already submitted add additional features in terms of a pluggable Solver that supports pluggable constraints and costs.

We had demoed a few use cases already in HongKong using our constraint-based scheduling framework addressing the cross-service constraint scenarios:
  - Compute – Storage affinity,  where we can schedule a VM on or close to a Volume node.

We have also seen a lot of interest from the NFV community, in terms of addressing the complex NFV related use cases using our constraints solving framework for making optimal placement decisions
Please see our NFV talk and demo in the Atlanta summit:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzDbhkk-BI Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/ybudupi/optimized-nfv-placement-in-openstack-clouds

Hope you will honor this request, and help us take this effort forward.

Thanks,
Yathi.