[openstack-dev] What's Up Doc? July 16 2014

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jul 16 20:49:08 UTC 2014

Hi all,
First of all, I'm sorry we had to skip last week's doc team meeting and
that I didn't send this note out last week -- had to take care of my son's
health. As Pa from Little House on the Prairie would say, "All's well that
ends well."

Thanks to the APAC team for holding the docs team meeting this week.
Minutes and logs:
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/docteam/2014/docteam.2014-07-16-03.06.html
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/docteam/2014/docteam.2014-07-16-03.06.log.html

__In review and merged this past week__
The CLI Reference has been updated for the release of:
 python-novaclient 2.18.1
 python-keystoneclient  0.9
 python-cinderclient 1.0.9 <https://review.openstack.org/106553>
 python-glanceclient 0.13.1

We're now labeling the release name in a running sidebar of text on older
releases and the current release for all docs pages that correlate with an
integrated release.

The neutron.conf advanced configuration info has been updated to use the
alias openvswitch rather than, for example,
neutron.plugins.openvswitch.ovs_neutron_plugin.OVSNeutronPluginV2.

__High priority doc work__

I'm as eager as you are to get my hands on the results of the Architecture
and Design Guide! We're working on the best output and should have it
available soon.

__Ongoing doc work__

To clarify the request for docs-specs, while we have some wiki page
specifications for Launchpad blueprints, I was hoping to try out the
docs-specs repo for the networking guide, the HOT template user guide
chapter, and for app developer deliverables. We are trying out the
docs-specs repo rather than wiki pages. So far Andreas has proposed one for
a common glossary, and Gauvain is working on another for the HOT template
user guide chapter. Phil and Matt are working on the networking guide, so
that leaves Tom and me working on developer deliverables. Training guides,
do you have any blueprints you want reviewed? Let's get them proposed.

Or, if we think we should stick to wiki pages for specs, that's okay too.

__New incoming doc requests__

The Trove team gets a gold star for outlining their doc gaps here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/trove-doc-items. Their goal is to get
those items at least in draft by 7/24.

Mostly the interest is in the HOT templates doc and the upcoming Networking
doc swarm and spec.

__Doc tools updates__

I want to be clear that there's no Foundation support for any purchased
licenses of a proprietary toolchain. Our entire docs toolchain is open.
Some of us choose to use Oxygen for authoring, and Oxygen XML, the company,
chooses to support open source projects by providing free licenses for a
longer trial than their 30 day trial. So as far as I know, something like
Prince for output wouldn't be supported.

The clouddocs-maven-plugin has a 2.1.2 release (release notes:
https://github.com/stackforge/clouddocs-maven-plugin/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES.rst#clouddocs-maven-plugin-212-july-15-2014)
which enables hyphenation. To update to 2.1.2, update the <version>
indicated for the plugin in the pom.xml and try out hyphenation!

__Other doc news__

I plan to attend the Ops Meetup in San Antonio Aug. 25-26th. More details
at https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/SAT-ops-meetup. Please let me know your
Ops Docs Needs prior to or at that event.

I absolutely love this blog post by Mark McLoughlin at
http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2014/06/06/an-ideal-openstack-developer/  -
an excellent example of satire and how we should all watch each other for
burnout. :) Best paragraph:
"And then there’s docs, always the poor forgotten child of any open source
project. Yet OpenStack has some relatively awesome docs and a great team
developing them. They can never hope to cope with the workload themselves,
though, so they need you to pitch in and help perfect those docs in your
area of expertise."
Great job docs team, for working so hard on docs.