[openstack-dev] [oslo] oslo.serialization repo review

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Jul 16 20:15:44 UTC 2014

On 07/15/2014 03:52 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On 15/07/14 20:36, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> LGTM.
>
>> I'd be interesting in the future to see if we can transparently
>> use some other serialization format (besides json)...
>
>> That's my only compliant is that jsonutils is still named
>> jsonutils instead of 'serializer' or something else but I
>> understand the reasoning why...
>
> Now that jsonutils module contains all basic 'json' functions
> (dump[s], load[s]), can we rename it to 'json' to mimic the
> standard 'json' library? I think jsonutils is now easy to use as an
> enhanced drop-in replacement for standard 'json' module, and I even
> envisioned a hacking rule that would suggest to use jsonutils
> instead of json. So appropriate naming would be helpful to push
> that use case.

We discussed this a bit on the oslo.utils spec, but we don't want to
shadow builtin names so we're leaving the utils suffix on the modules
that have it.  I would think the same applies here.

If someone wants to use this as a dropin they can still do "from
oslo.serialization import jsonutils as json"