[openstack-dev] [nova] fair standards for all hypervisor drivers

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jul 16 17:59:33 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 07:27 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2014, at 8:28 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:12:47AM -0700, Clark Boylan wrote:
>>
>>> I am worried that we would just regress to the current process because
>>> we have tried something similar to this previously and were forced to
>>> regress to the current process.
>>
>> IMHO the longer we wait between updating the gate to new versions
>> the bigger the problems we create for ourselves. eg we were switching
>> from 0.9.8 released Dec 2011, to  1.1.1 released Jun 2013, so we
>> were exposed to over 1 + 1/2 years worth of code churn in a single
>> event. The fact that we only hit a couple of bugs in that, is actually
>> remarkable given the amount of feature development that had gone into
>> libvirt in that time. If we had been tracking each intervening libvirt
>> release I expect the majority of updates would have had no ill effect
>> on us at all. For the couple of releases where there was a problem we
>> would not be forced to rollback to a version years older again, we'd
>> just drop back to the previous release at most 1 month older.
>
> This is a really good point. As someone who has to deal with packaging
> issues constantly, it is odd to me that libvirt is one of the few places
> where we depend on upstream packaging. We constantly pull in new python
> dependencies from pypi that are not packaged in ubuntu. If we had to
> wait for packaging before merging the whole system would grind to a halt.
>
> I think we should be updating our libvirt version more frequently vy
> installing from source or our own ppa instead of waiting for the ubuntu
> team to package it.

Shrinking in terror from what I'm about to say ... but I actually agree
with this, There are SEVERAL logistical issues we'd need to sort, not
the least of which involve the actual mechanics of us doing that and
properly gating,etc. But I think that, like the python depends where we
tell distros what version we _need_ rather than using what version they
have, libvirt, qemu, ovs and maybe one or two other things are areas in
which we may want or need to have a strongish opinion.

I'll bring this up in the room tomorrow at the Infra/QA meetup, and will
probably be flayed alive for it - but maybe I can put forward a
straw-man proposal on how this might work.

Monty