[openstack-dev] [oslo][infra][qa] issue with a requirement update

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Jul 16 14:03:47 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Arnaud Legendre <alegendre at vmware.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am facing an issue and looking for guidance/best practice. So, here is the
> problem:
>
> - glance [stable/icehouse] contains a requirement to oslo.vmware >= 0.2 [1]
> and consequently requirements/global-requirements [stable/icehouse] also
> contains oslo.vmware >= 0.2.[2] So far nothing wrong.
>
> - a requirement/global-requirement to the retrying library has been added in
> master [3].
>
> - now, if we add the retrying requirement to oslo.vmware in master, grenade
> fails [4] because stable/icehouse will pick the latest version of
> oslo.vmware (containing retrying) but using requirements/global-requirements
> [stable/icehouse] which doesn’t contain retrying.
>
> So, I can see two options:
> 1. pin the oslo.vmware version in stable/icehouse. something like
> oslo.vmware >= 0.2,<0.4. This means two patches: one in
> requirements/global-requirements and one in glance.
> I am not sure if it is OK to have requirements/global-requirements and
> glance having different version intervals for some time: global-requirements
> would contain  oslo.vmware >= 0.2,<0.4 but glance would contain oslo.vmware
>>= 0.2. Does Glance requirements and global-requirements need to contain the
> exact version interval for a given library at any time? or the fact that >=
> 0.2,<0.4 includes >= 0.2 is enough? in which case, this seems the way to go.

I don't know if that would actually solve the problem. It looked like
the job was failing when it synced requirements from the stable branch
of the requirements repo into the master branch of the library repo.
Pinning the requirements wouldn't change that behavior in the job.

> 2. add the retrying requirement to global-requirements [stable/icehouse],
> but this would mean that for any new library added to oslo.vmware (not being
> in the requirements of a previous release), we would have the same problem.

This looks like it would solve the problem, but as with you I'm not
sure why this is needed. Maybe someone who understands grenade better
can answer that (I've added [qa] to the subject to attract the QA
team's attention).

Doug