[openstack-dev] [cinder][nova] cinder querying nova-api

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 12:11:39 UTC 2014

So I see a couple of issues here:

1) reliability - need to decide what the scheduler does if the nova
api isn't responding - hanging and ignoring future scheduling requests
is not a good option... a timeout and putting the volume into error
might be fine.

2) Nova doesn't expose hostname as identifiers unless I'm mistaken, it
exposes some abstract host_id. Need to figure out the mapping between
those and cinder backends.

With those to caveats in mind, I don't see why not, nor indeed any
other way of solving the problem unless / until the
grand-unified-sheduler-of-everything happens.

Starting a cinder spec on the subject might be the best place to
collect people's thoughts?

On 16 July 2014 09:38, Abbass MAROUNI <abbass.marouni at virtualscale.fr> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'm in the process of writing a cinder filter and weigher, I need to know
> whether I can use something like 'nova-api' inside filter/weigher to query
> the tags of a virtual machine running on a compute-node.
> I need to create the cinder volume on the same host as the VM (which was
> created beforehand).
>
> I really appreciate any insights or workarounds.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Abbass,

Duncan Thomas