[openstack-dev] Resources to fix MS Outlook (was Re: [Nova] [Gantt] Scheduler split status (updated))

Alexis Lee alexisl at hp.com
Wed Jul 16 11:48:43 UTC 2014

Dugger, Donald D said on Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 09:15:06PM +0000:
> I `really` dislike paging through 10 screens of an email to discover
> the single comment buried somewhere near the end.

That's not inline style's fault, that's pure laziness (on the part of
the author). Good inline style is to trim the quoted text to just the
relevant parts, preferably so new content is at least as long as the
quote.

> With top posting the new content is always right there at the top,
> which is all I need for threads I'm familiar with and, if I lack
> context, I can just go to the bottom and scan up, finding the info
> that I need.

That may be acceptable once but after the fourth or fifth time it
becomes aggravating. The policy needs to be work for longer discussions
(like Jay/Paul) as well as short ones.

> Yes, top posting requires a little discipline, ... but that's a small
> price to pay.

So does inline posting :)

Inline style is explicitly stated in the etiquette, so rather than
reopening this can of worms, it'd save time just to follow the policy.

My apologies if this came across as overly harsh, I just don't see the
need to retread old ground.

Alexis
--
Nova Engineer, HP Cloud.  AKA lealexis, lxsli.