[openstack-dev] [oslo][infra] issue with a requirement update

Arnaud Legendre alegendre at vmware.com
Wed Jul 16 01:15:12 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I am facing an issue and looking for guidance/best practice. So, here is the problem:

- glance [stable/icehouse] contains a requirement to oslo.vmware >= 0.2 [1] and consequently requirements/global-requirements [stable/icehouse] also contains oslo.vmware >= 0.2.[2] So far nothing wrong.

- a requirement/global-requirement to the retrying library has been added in master [3].

- now, if we add the retrying requirement to oslo.vmware in master, grenade fails [4] because stable/icehouse will pick the latest version of oslo.vmware (containing retrying) but using requirements/global-requirements [stable/icehouse] which doesn’t contain retrying.

So, I can see two options:
1. pin the oslo.vmware version in stable/icehouse. something like oslo.vmware >= 0.2,<0.4. This means two patches: one in requirements/global-requirements and one in glance.
I am not sure if it is OK to have requirements/global-requirements and glance having different version intervals for some time: global-requirements would contain  oslo.vmware >= 0.2,<0.4 but glance would contain oslo.vmware >= 0.2. Does Glance requirements and global-requirements need to contain the exact version interval for a given library at any time? or the fact that >= 0.2,<0.4 includes >= 0.2 is enough? in which case, this seems the way to go.

2. add the retrying requirement to global-requirements [stable/icehouse], but this would mean that for any new library added to oslo.vmware (not being in the requirements of a previous release), we would have the same problem.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/stable/icehouse/requirements.txt#L30
[2] https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/stable/icehouse/global-requirements.txt#L52
[3] https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/master/global-requirements.txt#L182
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/106488/