[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Flavor framework proposal

Eichberger, German german.eichberger at hp.com
Tue Jul 15 22:12:43 UTC 2014

Hi Eugene,

I understand the argument with preferring tags over extensions to turn/features on and off since that is more fine grained. Now you are bringing up the policy framework to actually controlling which features are available. So let’s look at this example:

As an operator I want to offer a load balancer without TLS – so based on my understanding of flavors I would

·         Create a flavor which does not have a TLS extension/tags

·         Add some description on my homepage “Flavor Bronze - the reliable TLS less load balancer”

·         Use profiles to link that flavor to some haproxy and also some hardware load balancer aka F6

o   Set parameters in my profile to disable TLS for the F6 LB

Now, the user  asks for a “Bronze: load balancer and I give him an F6. So he can go ahead and enable TLS via the TLS API (since flavors don’t control API restrictions) and go his merry way – unless I also use some to-be-developed policy extension to restrict access to certain API features.

I am just wondering if this is what we are trying to build – and then why would we need tags and extensions if the heavy lifting is done with the policy framework…

German