[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Flavor framework proposal

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Jul 15 19:59:49 UTC 2014

I think I've provided some examples in the review.

However, the point is mostly to simplify usage from a user perspective -
allowing consumers of the neutron API to use the same flavour object for
multiple services.
There are other considerations which could be made, but since they're
dependent on features which do not yet exist (NFV, service insertion,
chaining and steering) I think there is no point in arguing over it.

In conclusion I think the idea makes sense, and is a minor twist in the
current design which should not either make the feature too complex neither
prevent any other use case for which the flavours are being conceived. For
the very same reason however, it is worth noting that this is surely not an
aspect which will cause me or somebody else to put a veto on this work item.

Another aspect to consider is how the flavours will work when the advanced
service type they refer to is not consumable through the neutron API, which
would be the case with an independent load balancing API endpoint. But this
is probably another story.

Salvatore