[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Flavor framework proposal

Stephen Balukoff sbalukoff at bluebox.net
Tue Jul 15 19:21:25 UTC 2014

Hi folks!

I've noticed progress on the flavor framework discussion slowing down over
the last week. We would really like to see this happen for Juno because
it's critical for many of the features we'd also like to get into Juno for
LBaaS. I understand there are other Neutron extensions which will need it
too.

The proposal under discussion is here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/102723/

One of the things I've seen come up frequently in the comments is the idea
that a single flavor would apply to more than one service type (service
type being 'LBaaS', 'FWaaS', 'VPNaaS', etc.). I've commented extensively on
this, and my opinion is that this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
 However, there are people who have a different view on this, so I would
love to hear from them:

Could you describe a specific usage scenario where this makes sense? What
are the characteristics of a flavor that applies to more than one service
type?

Let's see if we can come to some conclusions on this so that we can get
flavors into Juno, please!

Thanks,
Stephen

--