[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging][infra] New package dependencies for oslo.messaging's AMQP 1.0 support.

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jul 15 17:16:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Ken Giusti <kgiusti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The AMQP 1.0 blueprint proposed for oslo.messaging Juno [0] introduces
> dependencies on a few packages that provide AMQP functionality.
>
> These packages are:
>
> * pyngus - a client API
> * python-qpid-proton - the python bindings for the Proton AMQP library
> * qpid-proton: the AMQP 1.0 library.
>
> pyngus is a pure-python module available at pypi [1].
>
> python-qpid-proton is also available at pypi [2], but it contains a C
> extension.  This C extension requires that the qpid-proton development
> libraries are installed in order to build the extension when
> installing python-qpid-proton.
>
> So this means that oslo.messaging developers, as well as the CI
> systems, etc, will need to have the qpid-proton development packages
> installed.
>
> These packages may be obtained via EPEL for Centos/RHEL systems
> (qpid-proton-c-devel), and via the Qpid project's PPA [3]
> (libqpid-proton2-dev) for Debian/Ubuntu.  They are also available for
> Fedora via the default yum repos.  Otherwise, the source can be pulled
> directly from the Qpid project and built/installed manually [4].

Do you know the timeline for having those added to the Ubuntu cloud
archives? I think we try not to add PPAs in devstack, but I'm not sure
if that's a hard policy.

> I'd like to get the blueprint accepted, but I'll have to address these
> new dependencies first.  What is the best way to get these new
> packages into CI, devstack, etc?  And will developers be willing to
> install the proton development libraries, or can this be done
> automagically?

To set up integration tests we'll need an option in devstack to set
the messaging driver to this new one. That flag should also trigger
setting up the dependencies needed. Before you spend time implementing
that, though, we should clarify the policy on PPAs.

Doug