[openstack-dev] [all][specs] Please stop doing specs for any changes in projects

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:10:46 UTC 2014

On 15 July 2014 15:01, Erlon Cruz <sombrafam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Leave the option about when to submit a design vs. when to submit code to
>> the contributor.
>
> That's is what is being done so far right? Hard to know (mainly if you are a
> first contributor) when a change is big or not. I can see lots of patches
> being submitted without the spec getting rejected and being asked to a SPEC.
> This line between large-needs-spec/small-dont-need can not be subjective.

Of course it is subjective, like good code style and bunch of other
things we review for. If it's hard to know, guess, it doesn't hurt
either way - an unnecessary spec that is really simple should get
approved quickly enough, and if you need a spec but haven't done one
then somebody will ask for one soon enough.

> Why launchpad doesn't have a better discussion capability? I mean, users
> should be able to post comments on the whiteboard of the vluprint/bug. Then
> a quick discussion there could be used to define if a SPEC would be needed.

Launchpad has proven terrible for this, which is a strong driver for
the spec process in the first place

--
Duncan Thomas