[openstack-dev] Can not create cinder volume

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 11:36:49 UTC 2014

On 15 July 2014 11:59, Johnson Cheng <Johnson.Cheng at qsantechnology.com> wrote:
> May I ask you another question that how cinder choose volume node to create
> volume if I have multi volume nodes?
>
> For example,
>
> when controller node and compute node are alive, the volume will be created
> at compute node.
>
> When I shutdown compute node, the volume will be created at controller node.
>
> How can I create volume at compute node when both controller node and
> compute node are alive?

The short answer is:

- If you want to manually control which backend is used per volume,
then you need to set up volume types
- If you want volumes to be automatically distributed between the two
backends, look at the weighters (capacity weighter will pick which
ever backend has the greatest free capacity for example)

The admin guide should be able to explain how to set either of these
two up. I suspect you want the later.