[openstack-dev] [all] Treating notifications as a contract

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 07:15:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-10 at 16:21 -0400, Eoghan Glynn wrote:
> > > One of the issues that has been raised in the recent discussions with
> > > the QA team about branchless Tempest relates to some legacy defects
> > > in the OpenStack notification system.
> >
> > Got links to specifics? I thought the consensus was that there was a
> > contract here which we need to maintain, so I'd be curious where that
> > broke down.
>
> Well I could go digging in the LP fossil-record for specific bugs, but
> it's late, so for now I'll simply appeal to anecdata and tribal memory
> of ceilometer being broken by notification changes on the nova side.
>
> > Versioning and ability to newer contract versions would be good too, but
> > in the absence of such things we should maintain backwards compat.
>
> Yes, I think that was the aspiration, but not always backed up by practice
> in reality.

The reason I ask about specifics is to figure out which is more
important - versioned payloads, or automated testing of payload format.

i.e. have we been accidentally or purposefully changing the format? If
the latter, would the change have warranted a new incompatible version
of the payload format?

Mark.