[openstack-dev] [nova][qa] proposal for moving forward on cells/tempest testing

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jul 15 05:36:51 UTC 2014

On 07/14/2014 07:44 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Today we only gate on exercises in devstack for cells testing coverage
> in the gate-devstack-dsvm-cells job.
>
> The cells tempest non-voting job was moving to the experimental queue
> here [1] since it doesn't work with a lot of the compute API tests.
>
> I think we all agreed to tar and feather comstud if he didn't get
> Tempest "working" (read: passing) with cells enabled in Juno.
>
> The first part of this is just figuring out where we sit with what's
> failing in Tempest (in the check-tempest-dsvm-cells-full job).
>
> I'd like to propose that we do the following to get the ball rolling:
>
> 1. Add an option to tempest.conf under the compute-feature-enabled
> section to toggle cells and then use that option to skip tests that we
> know will fail in cells, e.g. security group tests.

I don't think we should do that. Part of creating the feature matrix in
devstack gate included the follow on idea of doing extension selection
based on branch or feature.

I'm happy if that gets finished, then tests are skipped by known not
working extensions, but just landing a ton of tempest ifdefs that will
all be removed is feeling very gorpy. Especially as we're now at Juno 2,
which was supposed to be the checkpoint for this being "on track for
completion" and... people are just talking about starting.

> 2. Open bugs for all of the tests we're skipping so we can track closing
> those down, assuming they aren't already reported. [2]
>
> 3. Once the known failures are being skipped, we can move
> check-tempest-dsvm-cells-full out of the experimental queue.  I'm not
> proposing that it'd be voting right away, I think we have to see it burn
> in for awhile first.
>
> With at least this plan we should be able to move forward on identifying
> issues and getting some idea for how much of Tempest doesn't work with
> cells and the effort involved in making it work.
>
> Thoughts? If there aren't any objections, I said I'd work on the qa-spec
> and can start doing the grunt-work of opening bugs and skipping tests.

> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=cells+

All the rest is fine, I just think we should work on the proper way to
skip things.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague