[openstack-dev] [nova][qa] proposal for moving forward on cells/tempest testing

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jul 14 17:44:34 UTC 2014

Today we only gate on exercises in devstack for cells testing coverage
in the gate-devstack-dsvm-cells job.

The cells tempest non-voting job was moving to the experimental queue
here [1] since it doesn't work with a lot of the compute API tests.

I think we all agreed to tar and feather comstud if he didn't get
Tempest "working" (read: passing) with cells enabled in Juno.

The first part of this is just figuring out where we sit with what's
failing in Tempest (in the check-tempest-dsvm-cells-full job).

I'd like to propose that we do the following to get the ball rolling:

1. Add an option to tempest.conf under the compute-feature-enabled
section to toggle cells and then use that option to skip tests that we
know will fail in cells, e.g. security group tests.

2. Open bugs for all of the tests we're skipping so we can track closing
those down, assuming they aren't already reported. [2]

3. Once the known failures are being skipped, we can move
check-tempest-dsvm-cells-full out of the experimental queue.  I'm not
proposing that it'd be voting right away, I think we have to see it burn
in for awhile first.

With at least this plan we should be able to move forward on identifying
issues and getting some idea for how much of Tempest doesn't work with
cells and the effort involved in making it work.

Thoughts? If there aren't any objections, I said I'd work on the qa-spec
and can start doing the grunt-work of opening bugs and skipping tests.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/87982/
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=cells+

Matt Riedemann