[openstack-dev] openstack/requirements and tarball subdirs

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Jul 14 13:51:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Philipp Marek <philipp.marek at linbit.com> wrote:
>> > It might be better to work with the python-dbus authors to get a
>> > pip-installable package released to PyPI, so that it can be included
>> > in the tox virtualenv (though for DevStack we'd still want to use
>> > distro packages instead of PyPI, I think).
>> I sent Simon an email about that now.
> I talked to him today.
>
> The recommendation is to use the available (distribution) packages, because
> he's had bad experiences with the distutils build system, so he wants to
> stick to the Autotools - and the general issues (needing a C compiler, some
> header files) would be the same with other libraries, too.

We do depend on system libraries without python components, but for
python libraries we want to manage the version we use by installing it
from pypi so we can indicate to distros when we need a version they
might not be packaging yet.

>> > ... I'm a little worried about taking on
>> > sitepackages=True in more projects given the headaches it causes
>> > (conflicts between versions in your virtualenv and system-installed
>> > python modules which happen to be dependencies of the operating
>> > system, for example the issues we ran into with Jinja2 on CentOS 6
>> > last year).
>> But such a change would affect _all_ people, right?
>> Hmmm... If you think such a change will be accepted?
> So we're back to this question now.
>

> While I don't have enough knowledge about the interactions to just change
> the virtual-env setup in DevStack, I can surely create an issue on
> https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack.

That change wouldn't be in devstack, it would be in every project that
wants to use this dbus library. However, we shouldn't do that -- I
wasn't aware of the changes to the way libvirt works and the fact that
the precedent I cited was being eliminated.

> How would this requirement be done for "production" setups? Should
> installers read the requirements.txt and install matching distribution
> packages?

Pip needs to be able to install the entries in requirements.txt (that
file is used by pbr to build the dependency list given to pip).