[openstack-dev] [all] Treating notifications as a contract

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 11:14:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014, Eoghan Glynn wrote:

> So what we need to figure out is how exactly this common structure can be
> accommodated without reverting back to what Sandy called the "wild west"
> in another post.

I got the impression that "wild west" is what we've already got
(within the payload)?

> For example you could write up a brief wiki walking through how an
> existing widely-consumed notification might look under your vision,
> say compute.instance.start.end. Then post a link back here as an RFC.
>
> Or, possibly better, maybe submit up a strawman spec proposal to one
> of the relevant *-specs repos and invite folks to review in the usual
> way?

Would oslo-specs (as in messaging) be the right place for that?

My thinking is the right thing to do is bounce around some questions
here (or perhaps in a new thread if this one has gone far enough off
track to have dropped people) and catch up on some loose ends.

For example: It appears that CADF was designed for this sort of thing and
was considered at some point in the past. It would be useful to know
more of that story if there are any pointers.

My initial reaction is that CADF has the stank of enterprisey all over
it rather than "less is more" and "worse is better" but that's a
completely uninformed and thus unfair opinion.

Another question (from elsewhere in the thread) is if it is worth, in
the Ironic notifications, to try and cook up something generic or to
just carry on with what's being used.

> This feels like something that we should be thinking about with an eye
> to the K* cycle - would you agree?

Yup.

Thanks for helping to tease this all out and provide some direction on
where to go next.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent