[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Networks without subnets

loy wolfe loywolfe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 03:19:05 UTC 2014

port with flexible ip address setting is necessary. I collected several use
cases:

1) when creating a port, we need to indicate that,
    [A] binding to none of subnet(no ip address);
    [B] binding to all subnets;
    [C] binding to any subnet;
    [D] binding to explicitly list of subnets, and/or list of ip address in
each subnet.
It seems that existing code implement [C] as the default case.

2) after created the port, we need to dynamically change it's address
setting:
    [A] remove a single ip address
    [B] remove all ip address of a subnet
    [C] add ip address on specified subnet
it's not the same as "allowed-addr-pair", but it really need to allocate ip
in the subnet.

3) we need to allow router add interface by network uuid, not only subnet
uuid
today L3 router add interface by subnet, but it's not the common use case
that a L2 segment connect to different router interface with it's different
subnets. when a network has multiple subnets, we should allow the network
but not the subnet to attach the router. Also, we should allow a network
without any subnet (or a port without ip address) to attach to a router
(some like a brouter), while adding/deleting interface address of different
subnets dynamically later.

this  feature should also be helpful for plug-gable external network BP.

4) with no-port-security option, we should implement ovs-plug instead
ovs-hybird-plug, to totally bypass qbr but not just changing iptable rules.
the performance of later is 50% lower for small size packet even if the
iptable is empty, and 20% lower even if we disable iptable hook on linux
bridge.