[openstack-dev] [third-party] - rebasing patches for CI

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 07:09:11 UTC 2014

3rd party systems do need to test the patch rebased against master since
that's what OpenStack is testing. Otherwise, there are conditions where the
patch can fail in its current position but not rebased against master so it
will look like something is wrong with the 3rd party system. Similarly, the
patch might pass without being rebased and then fail once merged into
master and cause all subsequent patches to fail for the 3rd party system.

>Well, if you aren't using Zuul to handle the merging of dependent
patchsets, I'm not entirely sure the ZUUL_ environment variables are going
to help much.

Can you elaborate on this some more? Does Zuul only cherry-pick the top
commit of the proposed patch instead of merging the proposed patch's branch
into master (which would merge all dependent patchsets)?

Kevin Benton