[openstack-dev] [all] Treating notifications as a contract

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 20:21:49 UTC 2014

> > One of the issues that has been raised in the recent discussions with
> > the QA team about branchless Tempest relates to some legacy defects
> > in the OpenStack notification system.
>
> Got links to specifics? I thought the consensus was that there was a
> contract here which we need to maintain, so I'd be curious where that
> broke down.

Well I could go digging in the LP fossil-record for specific bugs, but
it's late, so for now I'll simply appeal to anecdata and tribal memory
of ceilometer being broken by notification changes on the nova side.

> Versioning and ability to newer contract versions would be good too, but
> in the absence of such things we should maintain backwards compat.

Yes, I think that was the aspiration, but not always backed up by practice
in reality.

Cheers,
Eoghan