[openstack-dev] Where should a test for eventlet and oslo.db interaction go?

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 16:05:07 UTC 2014

On 7/10/14, 7:47 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> Honestly, that seems weird to me.
>
> oslo.db is built as a common layer for OpenStack services.
>
> eventlet is used by most OpenStack services.
>
> There are lots of known issues with eventlet vs. our db access patterns.
>
> Knowing that the db layer works in the common OpenStack pattern seems
> really important. And something that seems to make sense very close to
> the db code itself.

Yeah I am +1 on this, the use of eventlet is very prominent throughout
openstack components, and oslo.db is intended as a "glue" layer between
SQLAlchemy and those apps.   The patterns that are used with eventlet
should be tested at the oslo.db level, as oslo.db is responsible for
configuration of the driver and additionally IMO should be taking on a
much greater role in establishing transactional patterns which also have
an impact on these issues.

SQLAlchemy itself never spawns any threads.  However, we certainly have
a crap-ton of tests that test the connection pool and other
concurrency-sensitive areas in the context of many threads being run.
It's a critical use case so we test against it.

oslo.db should at every turn be attempting to remove redundancy from
downstream projects.   If ten projects all use eventlet, they shouldn't
all have to replicate the same test over and over that should just be
upwards of them.