[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Shim vs Agent Refactor

Stephen Balukoff sbalukoff at bluebox.net
Thu Jul 10 15:29:45 UTC 2014

Per the IRC discussion this morning, I believe it was decided that we would
prioritize creating a v2 agent which should run in parallel with the v1
agent. Further, for any subsequent driver shim layer, this should happen
after the v2 agent is functional.

... or I may have misunderstood what was decided in the meeting. :)  In any
case, y'all should feel free to correct me here and/or raise other concerns
we didn't think about, eh!

Stephen

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Brandon Logan <brandon.logan at rackspace.com>
wrote:

>  Shim will become quite complicated due to the fact we won't be able to
> actually send any load balancer information to the driver until a load
> balancer is linked to a listener, pool, and member.  The reason is because
> for a vip to be created it needs attributes from a load balancer and
> listener.  A vip also has a required attribute of pool_id in the old API so
> all the old driver are expecting a pool_id.  So this means we need a pool
> first.  Since the subnet_id has been moved off the pool and onto the pool
> member, we will need to have a pool with at least one member before we can
> send all that information to the driver.
>
> Now once that is done, it will probably get even crazier with updates and
> deletes to each one of those entities.
>
> So should time and effort be spent on the shim, which is temporary and
> eventually thrown away. Or should time be spent on creating a new version
> of the agent and namspace driver based off the new driver interface, which
> will need to be done anyway?
>
> Doing the shim could end up being faster than creating a new version of
> the agent, but since there are going to be a lot of crazy edge cases, I
> question the stability of it and the time it may take for it to become
> stable.
>
> One problem with not doing the shim is the older drivers cannot be used
> with the new API and will have to be updated.  To this, I would argue that
> there is no benefit to using the new API with an old driver versus using
> the Old API with the old driver, right now.  Once L7 and TLS get in then
> yes there would be.
>
> I'd just like to get people's ideas on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon

Stephen Balukoff
Blue Box Group, LLC