[openstack-dev] [trove] Discussion of capabilities feature

Nikhil Manchanda nikhil at manchanda.me
Thu Jul 10 00:30:56 UTC 2014

Joe Gordon writes:

> [...]
>> This sounds very similar to the v3/v2.1 discussion happening in nova. All
>> OpenStack projects need to address these issues and it would be a shame if
>> each project chose a different solution, perhaps this is a good topic for
>> the TC to help tackle? As having different solutions across OpenStack will
>> result in a non-cohesive user experience.
>
> After further thought, instead of the TC this would make a great general ML
> thread topic.
>
> In addition to solving this in trove and nova, neutron is looking into this
> as well.

Just wanted to follow up on this. Are the requirements for capabilities
in nova and neutron detailed out in a spec somewhere? I'd like to take a
look at it to understand the use-cases. Just to provide some context,
the initial P0 use case for having a capabilities API in trove was to
expose deployment and datastore specific configs via the API so that
horizon could enable options corresponding to these capabilities in the
appropriate trove panels.

Depending on commonalities in the use-cases and design, I agree
that it would be a good idea to come up with a common cohesive
experience across OpenStack for this.

Thanks for bringing this up!