[openstack-dev] [Heat] stevedore plugins (and wait conditions)

Angus Salkeld angus.salkeld at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jul 9 21:21:11 UTC 2014

On 09/07/14 11:03, Randall Burt wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2014, at 3:15 PM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com>
>  wrote:

>>> what's wrong with using the environment for that? Just have two resources
>>> and you do something like this:
>>> https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/etc/heat/environment.d/default.yaml#L7
>>
>> It doesn't cover other things that need signals, like software deployments (third-party plugin authors are also on their own). We only want n implementations not n*(number of resources that use signals) implementations.

>>> Totally depends if we want this to be operator configurable (config file or plugin)
>>> or end user configurable (use their environment to choose the implementation).

>>> haha.

>>> I think another great reason is consistency with how all other plugins are openstack
>>> are written (stevedore).
>>
>> Sure, consistency is nice, sometimes even at the expense of being not quite the right tool for the job. But there are limits to that trade-off.
>>
>>> Also I *really* don't think we should optimize for our contrib plugins
>>> but for:
>>> 1) our built in plugins
>>> 2) out of tree plugins
>>
>> I completely agree, which is why I was surprised by this change. It seems to be deprecating a system that is working well for built-in and out-of-tree plugins in order to make minor improvements to how we handle contrib.
>
> FWIW, when it comes to deploying Heat with non-built-in, there's no substantive difference in the experience between contrib and out-of-tree plugins, so neither system is more or less optimized for either. However, with the current system, there's no "easy" way to get rid of the "built-in" ones you don't want.

drop a file in /etc/environment.d/ that has this in:

 OS::one_I_dont_want:

You are saying that the resource should have no implementation.

This disables the resource here.
https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/heat/engine/environment.py#L186-L202

- -A