[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Dev mode implementation

Andrew Woodward xarses at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 14:58:35 UTC 2014

I agree with Evgeniy on this we should be able to build the your test, env
easily enough to accommodate this. If we cant then we should spend time
there since AFAICT it overlaps with user ask

1. Disable authentication

we should be able to set them to a known option with a config drive or
metadata service. This isn't the first time that we've needed to get more
complicated with the fuel master deployment automation

> 2. Development packages should be added (nc, iperf, tcpdump, systemtap)

They should be available on the iso to install if you need them. If not
create a bug for it

> 3. Extra verbosity should be turned on. CoreDumps should be enabled and
> analyzed.

Debug should come on by default, this could be a config drive option to
update the openstack.json data

4. Special OpenStack flavors (m1.tiny should be 128MB instead of 512MB)

I thought we where going to do this for test env's? already

> 5. Additional messages in REST/JSON or any other API

I'm not sure what is lacking here, can you explain more?

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Evgeniy L <eli at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Hi Sergii,
>
> Sorry, but I don't like the idea of creating yet another type of iso, it
> will complicate debugging process (because of different environments).
>
> Disable authentication - if we have a feature, we should not disable it,
> during the development we need to make sure that this feature works fine
> with any other features which we are working on.
>
> If we want to solve this problem, I think it will be better to create some
> scripts to make your env more developer friendly i.e. install nc, iperf,
> tcpdump, systemtap.
>

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Sergii Golovatiuk <
> sgolovatiuk at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi crew,
>>
>> There is no functioning "dev" mode as of right now in the Fuel ISO build.
>> Authentication feature  makes developer's life even more painful.  A lot of
>> tests must be rewritten to pass authentication. Manual testing will be
>> slowed down as it will require additional steps. This complicates many
>> things we do. "Dev" mode should slightly modify ISO for development use.
>> Here are the features we should turn on in 'dev" mode
>>
>> 1. Disable authentication
>> 2. Development packages should be added (nc, iperf, tcpdump, systemtap)
>> 3. Extra verbosity should be turned on. CoreDumps should be enabled and
>> analyzed.
>> 4. Special OpenStack flavors (m1.tiny should be 128MB instead of 512MB)
>> 5. Additional messages in REST/JSON or any other API
>>
>> If you have anything to add please bring that to our attention so we'll
>> try to cover your wishlist in blueprint.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Sergii Golovatiuk,