[openstack-dev] [glance] tracebacks hidden in LOG.info

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jul 9 14:12:53 UTC 2014

On 07/09/2014 10:01 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 07/09/2014 01:32 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
>> Recently looking at a gate failure, which was a 500 error from glance.
>> So I expected that glance would have a pretty clear trace in the logs.
>> Filtering at WARN level... it did not. Eventually through timestamp
>> mapping I found this:
>> http://logs.openstack.org/33/100933/3/gate/gate-tempest-dsvm-full/e21d71a/logs/screen-g-api.txt.gz#_2014-07-09_00_27_38_268
>>
>> Dumping a stack trace at INFO level is definitely not cool. This was
>> very clearly a 500 error in Glance, which needs to be an actual ERROR.
>> It would be great if there was more info about why it failed (the g-reg
>> error really should be propagated up, as it turns out this is a deadlock
>> issue -
>> http://logs.openstack.org/33/100933/3/gate/gate-tempest-dsvm-full/e21d71a/logs/screen-g-reg.txt.gz#_2014-07-09_00_27_38_261)
>>
>> Hidding real errors in the logs is something that's just as problematic
>> as logging things that aren't error as errors.
>

> Thanks for spotting this and bringing it up. Did you file a bug for this
> issue?

No. Glance has 246 open bugs, over 40% of which are in 'new' state. The
number of open bugs exceeds the # of patches landed so far in Juno by a
factor of 3 (and is only slightly less than the number of Glance changes
landed in Icehouse).

Which means I assume the bug tracker is a black hole and will not result
in any action. Hence bringing it to the mailing list.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net