[openstack-dev] [olso] olso incubator logging issues

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 11:53:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 07:39:39AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 07/03/2014 01:52 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> >> oslo code, by definition, is going to be used a lot, inside of tight
> >> loops. Which means extremely verbose. Actually
> >> nova.openstack.common.policy currently represents ~40% of all bytes in
> >> nova-api logs (15 MB uncompressed content during a Tempest run).
> >>
> >> Both these are bugs that should be fixed, however, I'd like to figure
> >> out how we come up with more systematic approach to keep the quality of
> >> these things up, especially as an oslo fix is expensive in terms of
> >> labor, as we have to fix in oslo first, then sync to projects. And as
> >> more syncs have caused issues like this an oslo sync is not longer a
> >> fast approve as it used to be.
> >
> > Do you have some automation in mind, or just focusing more on logging
> > in reviews?
>
> I don't know. I'm just concerned that some really bad bugs are slipping
> through oslo incubator, which is then copy / pasted into projects before
> they get noticed (because there is no forward testing), then we have to
> run around and replicate fixes everywhere.
>
> Stuff like this is generating a ton of extra work on everyone that's not
> oslo.

This is yet another example of the many problems inherant in the cut+paste
approach used by olso incubator. I'd personally like to see olso-incubator
killed and everything there moved into its own module with whatever API
they have now. If we later find we need to break the APIs of some of the
split out modules, so be it. IMHO it would be less pain overall than we
have with the cut+paste approach. We'd be able to have fully integrated
CI testing running against the olso changes as they go on, rather than
only after copy+paste, whic would ease detection/avoid problems like you're
highlighting here.

Regards,
Daniel