[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-dev][neutron] whether vm's port in use could be deleted?

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 09:20:45 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

> Hi, folks,
>

> My usecase follows:
>
> 1. create two vms A and B by using the ports that have been created.
>
> 2. vm A can ping vm B
>
> 3. Delete one port of A or B
>
> 4. vm A can still ping vm B
>

> IMO, ping should not be ok when vm's port have been deleted.
>

> Two alternative solution:
>
> 1. do more restriction in def prevent_l3_port_deletion(self, context,
> port_id), we should not allow to delete the ports in use.
>
> 2.permit to delete the port but notify ovs-agent to unbind the port.

I think option 2 is better. Implementing option 1 within Neutron would imply
getting the device_id, and sending an API call to Nova to see if it's in use or not.
Introducing more Neutron --> Nova interactions seems like a really bad idea.

Additionally, I'm trying to lead an effort of cleaning up tenant resources when
one is deleted. Here's the spec for Neutron:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/98097/

If and when Nova implement something similar, prevention of deletion of in-use ports
would imply a dependency/order between projects when deleting a tenant.