[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Proposal: FairShareScheduler.

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 07:09:24 UTC 2014

Le 08/07/2014 22:47, Joe Gordon a écrit :

>>>     I'm not saying that Climate (now Blazar) would be the only
>>>     project involved for managing spot instances. By looking at a
>>>     draft a couple of months before, I thought that this scenario
>>>     would possibly involve Climate for best-effort leases (see again
>>>     the Lease concepts in the wiki above), but also the Nova
>>>     scheduler (for accounting the lease requests) and probably
>>>     Ceilometer (for the auditing and metering side).
>>>
>>>     Blazar is now in a turn where we're missing contributors because
>>>     we are a Stackforge project, so we work with a minimal bandwidth
>>>     and we don't have time for implementing best-effort leases but
>>>     maybe that's something we could discuss. If you're willing to
>>>     contribute to an Openstack-style project, I'm personnally
>>>     thinking Blazar is a good one because of its little complexity
>>>     as of now.
>

> I think the current thinking around how to sport spot instances is
> somewhat backwards. We should first identify the user facing
> requirements (I.E. API changes) then identify the missing pieces
> needed to support that API, and lastly figure out where those missing
> pieces should live.   I don't think we can say Blazer is the answer
> without fully understanding the problem.

My bad, I think you misunderstood me. I just said that part of the
problem can possibly land in Blazar because of Blazar already implements
some concepts close to the spot instances model (what we call leases,
ie. a contract or SLA expressed by a REST API), but I'm also thinking
that it would require other components involved.

+1 on defining API specs for spot instance model, that's what we raised
during the last Gantt meeting.