[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Building deploy ramdisks with dracut

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Jul 8 21:20:28 UTC 2014

On 07/08/2014 03:28 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> We got to the current place thusly:
>
>  - The initial ramdisk code in Nova-baremetal needed a home other than
> a wikipage.
>  - And then there was a need/desire to build ramdisks from a given
> distro != current host OS.
>  - Various bits of minor polish to make it more or less in-line with
> the emerging tooling in DIB.
>
> I've no attachment at all to the ramdisk implementation though -
> there's nothing to say its right or wrong, and if dracut is better,
> cool.
>
> The things I think are important are:
>  - ability to build for non-host arch and distro.

I'm still building ramdisks in a dib chroot, so this shouldn't be a problem.

>  - ability to build working Ironic-deploy ramdisks today, and
> Ironic-IPA ramdisks in future

I'll double-check, but for the moment I'm keeping all the init fragment
functionality untouched, so anything we can build today should also work
in my proposed dracut ramdisks.

For anyone who's interested, I've got a PoC for this up in Gerrit:
https://review.openstack.org/105275  It obviously needs some work, but I
think it shows a workable way forward with this.

I'll get a spec written up so we can have a formal discussion over
requirements and implementation.

Thanks.

-Ben