[openstack-dev] openstack/requirements and tarball subdirs

Philipp Marek philipp.marek at linbit.com
Tue Jul 8 12:55:18 UTC 2014

> > The other tarballs in that hierarchy follow the same schema; perhaps the
> > cached download is broken?
>
> I downloaded the tarball and didn't find a setup.py at all.
Oh, that is the requirement? I'd have guessed that the directory name is at
fault here.

> > The most current releases are available on
> >         http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-python/
> > though; perhaps the 1.2.0 release works better?
> >
> > But how could I specify to use _that_ source URL?
>
> Unfortunately, you can't. We only mirror PyPI, and we only download
> packages published there.
>
> The 1.2.0 release from
> http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-python/ doesn't look like an
> sdist, either (I see a configure script, so I think they've switched
> to autoconf). Uploading that version to PyPI isn't going to give you
> something you can install with pip. Are there system packages for
> dbus-python for the distros we support directly?
Yes; RHEL6 and Ubuntu 12.04 include python-dbus packages.

> That release also appears to be just over a year old. Do you know if
> dbus-python is being actively maintained any more? Are there other
> libraries for talking to dbus?
AFAIK dbus-python is the most current and preferred one.

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/ lists two alternatives, but as
these are not packaged (yet) I chose python-dbus instead.

Can Jenkins use the pre-packaged versions instead of downloading and
compiling the tarball?

Regards,

Phil

--