[openstack-dev] [Neutron] cloud-init IPv6 support

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 07:13:30 UTC 2014

Let me talk a bit about this...   :-)

On 7 July 2014 14:43, Andrew Mann <andrew at divvycloud.com> wrote:

> What's the use case for an IPv6 endpoint? This service is just for
> instance metadata, so as long as a requirement to support IPv4 is in place,
> using solely an IPv4 endpoint avoids a number of complexities:
> - Which one to try first?

- Which one is authoritative?

Only 1, IPv6 metadata network via link-local (fe80::)...

> - Are both required to be present? I.e. can an instance really not have
> any IPv4 support and expect to work?

No.

Yes, I have tons of IPv6-Only machines, to reach IPv4, I'm using the couple
DNS64 + NAT64. I see no use for IPv4 anymore... IPv4 can be deployed only
at the border (i.e. as a legacy Floating IPv4 using NAT46)...

- I'd presume the IPv6 endpoint would have to be link-local scope? Would
> that mean that each subnet would need a compute metadata endpoint?

Good question... Apparently, IPv6 Link-Local fe80:: is the equivalent of
169.254 in IPv4 world...

Just my two bitcents...   ;-)