[openstack-dev] [swift] add checking daemons existence in Healthcheck middleware

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Tue Jul 8 02:59:04 UTC 2014

In general, you're right. It's pretty important to know what's going on in the cluster. However, the checks for these background daemons shouldn't be done in the wsgi servers. Generally, we've stayed away from a lot of process monitoring in the Swift core. That it, Swift already works around failures, and there is already existing ops tooling to monitor if a process is alive.

Check out the swift-recon tool that's included with Swift. It already includes some checks like the replication cycle time. While it's not a direct "is this process alive" monitoring tool, it does give good information about the health of the cluster.

If you've got some other ideas on checks to add to recon or ways to make it better or perhaps even some different ways to integrate monitoring systems, let us know!

--John