[openstack-dev] [Neutron] cloud-init IPv6 support

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 18:31:54 UTC 2014

On 7 July 2014 10:43, Andrew Mann <andrew at divvycloud.com> wrote:

> What's the use case for an IPv6 endpoint? This service is just for
> instance metadata, so as long as a requirement to support IPv4 is in place,
> using solely an IPv4 endpoint avoids a number of complexities:

- Which one to try first?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Eyeballs

- Which one is authoritative?

If they return the same data, both are (the same as a dualstack website of
any form).

> - Are both required to be present? I.e. can an instance really not have
> any IPv4 support and expect to work?

Absolutely yes. "Here, have an address from a space with millions of
addresses, but you won't work unless you can also find one from this space
with an address shortage"...  Yes, since we can happily use overlapping
ranges there are many nits you can pick with that statement, but still.
We're trying to plan for the future here and I absolutely think we should
expect singlestack v6 to work.

> - I'd presume the IPv6 endpoint would have to be link-local scope? Would
> that mean that each subnet would need a compute metadata endpoint?

Well, the v4 address certainly requires a router (even if the address is
nominally link local), so I don't think it's the end of the world if the v6
was the same - though granted it would be nice to improve upon that.  In
fact, at the moment every router has its own endpoint.  We could, for the
minute, do the same with v6 and use the v4-mapped address
::ffff:169.254.169.254.

An alternative would be to use a well known link local address, but there's
no easy way to reserve such a thing officially (though, in practice, we
restrict link locals based on EUID64 and don't let people change that, so
it would only be provider networks with any sort of issue).  Something
along the lines of fe80::a9fe:a9fe would probably suit.  You may run into
problems with that if you have two clouds linked to the same provider
network; this is a problem if you can't disable the metadata server on a
network, because they will fight over the address.  When it's on a router,
it's simpler: use the nexthop, get that metadata server.

In general, anyone doing singlestack v6 at the moment relies on
config-drive to make it work.  This works fine but it depends what
cloud-init support your application has.
--
Ian.