[openstack-dev] [Neutron] cloud-init IPv6 support

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Mon Jul 7 18:26:27 UTC 2014

Andrew Mann wrote:
>What's the use case for an IPv6 endpoint? This service is just for instance metadata,
>so as long as a requirement to support IPv4 is in place, using solely an IPv4 endpoint
>avoids a number of complexities:

The obvious use case would be deprecation of IPv4, but the question is when. Should I
expect to be able to run a VM without IPv4 in 2014 or is IPv4 mandatory for all VMs?
What about the year 2020 or 2050 or 2100? Do we ever reach a point where we can turn
off IPv4 or will we need IPv4 for eternity?

Right now it seems that we need IPv4 because cloud-init itself doesn’t appear to support
IPv6 as a datasource. I’m going by this documentation
http://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/datasources.html#what-is-a-datasource
where the “magic ip” of 169.254.169.254 is referenced as well as some non-IP mechanisms.

It wouldn’t be sufficient for OpenStack to support an IPv6 metadata address as long as
most tenants are likely to be using a version of cloud-init that doesn’t know about IPv6
so step one would be to find out whether the maintainer of cloud-init is open to the
idea of IPv4-less clouds.

If so, then picking a link local IPv6 address seems like the obvious thing to do and the
update to Neutron should be pretty trivial. There are a few references to that
“magic ip”
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/search?p=2&q=169.254.169.254&ref=cmdform
but the main one is the iptables redirect rule in the L3 agent:
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/neutron/agent/l3_agent.py#L684