[openstack-dev] [keystone][specs] listing the entire API in a new spec

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:37:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Steve Martinelli <stevemar at ca.ibm.com>
wrote:

> To add to the growing pains of keystone-specs, one thing I've noticed is,
> there is inconsistency in the 'REST API Impact' section.
>
> To be clear here, I don't mean we shouldn't include what new APIs will be
> created, I think that is essential. But rather, remove the need to
> specifically spell out the request and response blocks.
>
> Personally, I find it redundant for a few reasons:

Agree, we need to eliminate the redundancy...

> 1) We already have identity-api, which will need to be updated once the
> spec is completed anyway.

So my thinking is to merge the content of openstack/identity-api into
openstack/keystone-specs. We use identity-api just like we use
keystone-specs anyway, but only for a subset of our work.

> 2) It's easy to get bogged down in the spec review as it is, I don't want
> to have to point out mistakes in the request/response blocks too (as I'll
> need to do that when reviewing the identity-api patch anyway).

I personally see value in having them proposed as one patchset - it's all
design work, so I think it should be approved as a cohesive piece of design.

> 3) Come time to propose the identity-api patch, there might be differences
> in what was proposed in the spec.

There *shouldn't* be though... unless you're just talking about typos/etc.
It's possible to design an unimplementable or unusable API though, and that
can be discovered (at latest) by attempting an implementation... at that
point, I think it's fair to go back and revise the spec/API with the
solution.

> Personally I'd be OK with just stating the HTTP method and the endpoint.
> Thoughts?

Not all API-impacting changes introduce new endpoint/method combinations,
they may just add a new attribute to an existing resource - and this is
still a bit redundant with the identity-api repo.

> Many apologies in advance for my pedantic-ness!

Laziness*

(lazy engineers are just more efficient)