[openstack-dev] [keystone] Size of Log files

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:19:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 8:34 AM, Brant Knudson <blk at acm.org> wrote:

> Henry -
>

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Henry Nash <henryn at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Our debug log file size is getting pretty huge....a typical py26 jenkins
>> run produces a whisker under 50Mb of log - which is problematic for at
>> least the reason that our current jenkins setup consider the test run a
>> failure if the log file is > 50 Mb.  (see
>> http://logs.openstack.org/14/74214/40/check/gate-keystone-python26/1714702/subunit_log.txt.gz
>> as an example for a recent patch I am working on).  Obviously we could just
>> raise the limit, but we should probably also look at how effective our
>> logging is.  Reviewing of the log file listed above shows:
>>
>> 1) Some odd corruption.  I think this is related to the subunit
>> concatenation of output files, but haven't been able to find the exact
>> cause (looking a local subunit file shows some weird characters, but not as
>> bad as when as part of jenkins).  It may be that this corruption is dumping
>> more data than we need into the log file.

Bug report!

>  2) There are some spectacularly uninteresting log entries, e.g. 25 lines
>> of :
>>
>> Initialized with method overriding = True, and path info altering = True
>>
>> as part of each unit test call that uses routes! (This is generated as
>> part of the routes.middleware init)
>>
>> 3) Some seemingly over zealous logging, e.g. the following happens
>> multiple times per call:
>>
>> Parsed 2014-07-06T14:47:46.850145Z into {'tz_sign': None,
>> 'second_fraction': '850145', 'hour': '14', 'daydash': '06', 'tz_hour':
>> None, 'month': None, 'timezone': 'Z', 'second': '46', 'tz_minute': None,
>> 'year': '2014', 'separator': 'T', 'monthdash': '07', 'day': None, 'minute':
>> '47'} with default timezone <iso8601.iso8601.Utc object at 0x1a02fd0>
>>
>> Got '2014' for 'year' with default None
>>
>> Got '07' for 'monthdash' with default 1
>>
>> Got 7 for 'month' with default 7
>>
>> Got '06' for 'daydash' with default 1
>>
>> Got 6 for 'day' with default 6
>>
>> Got '14' for 'hour' with default None
>>
>> Got '47' for 'minute' with default None
>>

> The default log levels for the server are set in oslo-incubator's log
> module[1]. This is where it sets iso8601=WARN which should get rid of #3.
>
> In addition to these defaults, when the server starts it calls
> config.set_default_for_default_log_levels()[2] which sets the routes logger
> to INFO, which should take care of #2. The unit tests could do something
> similar.
>
> Maybe the tests can setup logging the same way.
>
> [1]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/keystone/tree/keystone/openstack/common/log.py?id=26364496ca292db25c2e923321d2366e9c4bedc3#n158
> [2]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/keystone/tree/bin/keystone-all#n116
>

>>  3) LDAP is VERY verbose, e.g. 30-50 lines of debug per call to the
>> driver.
>>
>> I'm happy to work to trim back some of worst excesses....but open to
>> ideas as to whether we need a more formal approach to this...perhaps a good
>> topic for our hackathon this week?

This would be a great topic, but given that this is a community-wide issue,
we already have some community-wide direction:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Security/Guidelines/logging_guidelines#Log_Level_Usage_Recommendations
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LoggingStandards

We certainly have room to better adhere to these expectations (I also think
these two pages should be consolidated).