[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Status of entities that do not exist in a driver backend

Jorge Miramontes jorge.miramontes at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jul 7 17:02:31 UTC 2014

Hey Mark,

To add, one reason we have a DELETED status at Rackspace is that certain
sub-resources are still relevant to our customers. For example, we have a
usage sub-resource which reveals usage records for the load balancer. To
illustrate, a user issues a DELETE on /loadbalancers/<id> but can still
issue a GET on /loadbalancers/<id>/usage. If /loadbalancers/<id> were
truly deleted (i.e a 404 is returned) it wouldn't make RESTful sense to
expose the usage sub-resource. Furthermore, even if we don't plan on
having sub-resources that a user will actually query I would still like a
DELETED status as our customers use it for historical and debugging
purposes. It provides users with a sense of clarity and doesn't leave them
scratching their heads thinking, "How were those load balancers configured
when we had that issue the other day?" for example.

I agree on your objection for unattached objects assuming API operations
for these objects will be synchronous in nature. However, since the API is
suppose to be asynchronous a QUEUED status will make sense for the API
operations that are truly asynchronous. In an earlier email I stated that
a QUEUED status would be beneficial when compared to just a BUILD status
because it would allow for more accurate metrics in regards to
provisioning time. Customers will complain more if it appears provisioning
times are taking a long time when in reality they are actually queued do
to high API traffic.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
--Jorge