[openstack-dev] [cinder] 3rd party ci names for use by official cinder mandated tests

Kerr, Andrew Andrew.Kerr at netapp.com
Mon Jul 7 14:30:56 UTC 2014

On 7/2/14, 11:00 AM, "Anita Kuno" <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:

>On 07/01/2014 01:13 PM, Asselin, Ramy wrote:
>> 3rd party ci names is currently becoming a bit controversial for what
>>we're trying to do in cinder: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/101013/
>> The motivation for the above change is to aid developers understand
>>what the 3rd party ci systems are testing in order to avoid confusion.
>> The goal is to aid developers reviewing cinder changes to understand
>>which 3rd party ci systems are running official cinder-mandated tests
>>and which are running unofficial/proprietary tests.
>> Since the use of "cinder" is proposed to be "reserved" (per change
>>under review above), I'd like to propose the following for Cinder
>>third-party names under the following conditions:
>> {Company-Name}-cinder-ci
>> *         This CI account name is to be used strictly for official
>>cinder-defined dsvm-full-{driver} tests.
>> *         No additional tests allowed on this account.
>> o    A different account name will be used for unofficial / proprietary
>>tests.
>> *         Account will only post reviews to cinder patches.
>> o    A different account name will be used to post reviews in all other
>>projects.

I disagree with this approach.  It will mean that if we want to run tests
on multiple projects (specifically for NetApp we're planning at least
Cinder and eventually Manilla), then we'd have to needlessly maintain 2
service accounts. This is extra work for both us, and the infra team.  A
single account is perfectly capable of running different sets of tests on
different projects.  The name of the account can then be more generalized
out to {Company-Name}-ci

>> *         Format of comments will be (as jgriffith commented in that
>>review):
>>
>> {company name}-cinder-ci
>>
>>    dsvm-full-{driver-name}                           pass/fail
>>

>>    dsvm-full-{other-driver-name}                 pass/fail
>>

>>    dsvm-full-{yet-another-driver-name}       pass/fail

I do like this format.  A single comment with each drivers' outcome on a
different line.  That will help cut down on email and comment spam.