[openstack-dev] [nova][libvirt] Suspend via virDomainSave() rather than virDomainManagedSave()

Rafi Khardalian rafi at metacloud.com
Mon Jul 7 05:22:44 UTC 2014

Hi All --

It seems as though it would be beneficial to use virDomainSave rather than
virDomainManagedSave for suspending instances.  The primary benefit of
doing so would be to locate the save files within the instance's dedicated
directory.  As it stands suspend operations are utilizing ManagedSave,
which places all save files in a single directory
(/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save by default on Ubuntu).  This is the only
instance-specific state data which lives both outside the instance
directory and the database.  Also, ManagedSave does not consider Libvirt's
"save_image_format" directive and stores all saves as raw, rather than
offering the various compression options available when DomainSave is used.

ManagedSave is certainly easier but offers less control than what I think
is desired in this case.  Is there anything I'm missing?  If not, would
folks be open to this change?

Thanks,
Rafi