[openstack-dev] [third party] - minimum response time for 3rd party CI responses

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 01:15:22 UTC 2014

On 07/04/2014 03:57 AM, Luke Gorrie wrote:
> On 3 July 2014 19:02, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com
> <mailto:jaypipes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     devstack-gate works very well for what it is supposed to do:
>

> Yeah, I would actually love to use devstack-gate.
>
> I tried that first. There are two problems for me as a user:
>
> First I didn't manage to get it up and running reliably in a reasonable
> time frame (one week). In that time I was only starting to develop a
> mental model of how to troubleshoot problems. Getting support on IRC is
> awkward and especially so from my timezone (and especially-especially so
> while being a dad to a newborn baby).

Completely understood. :)

> Second it exposes me to criticism for being lazy and/or incompetent
> because people think it's very easy to setup.

Oh, I don't think it's easy to setup. I had to write 3 articles on my
blog to even barely cover the basics of the upstream CI system,
including devstack-gate.

> This easily escalates into
> threats to delete all of my code from OpenStack for being a bad CI
> citizen, despite the fact that from my perspective I am starting early
> and working hard. (Havana was fun, and I'm writing working code, so how
> do I end up being cast as a bad guy?)

I'm not someone who castigates anyone for trying. I know that some folks
have gotten frustrated with you, and you with them. Hopefully, we can
get you to a good place and settle any lingering frustrations. When help
is offered, be kind. When seeking help, likewise be kind. It really is
that simple, sometimes.

When all else fails, back away from IRC and go walk the dog (or cat, if
that's your bag) ;)

> Hacking up a custom CI in shell is pure desperation on my part because I
> need something that I am able to operate and maintain.

No, I completely support your efforts. If it enables folks to more
easily set up an accurate and simple CI system, I'm all for it. Use
devstack-gate for some inspiration, if that's what you need, otherwise,
no worries.

> Let's compare notes over a coffee in Paris :-).

Or a beer :)

Best,
-jay