[openstack-dev] How introduction of SDN controllers impact OpenStack

Thulasi ram Valleru thulasiram.valleru at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 13:57:27 UTC 2014

Guys,
        What tasks SDN controller plugin do. Consider we are not installing
ML2 plugin, we have only one plugin ie, SDN controller one on Neutron.

         SDN plugin can manage SDN controller and ovs on hypervisor.
Neutron is now able to create a port on Hypervisor and gives the
information to Neutron server. Neutron server gives these details to SDn
controller. SDN controller now knows which port belong to which physical
server. here i am able to see only thing SDN controller can do is update
the flow tables on ovs.If open flow physical devices are there in network,
then it can gather information like which port is attached to which
physical device on physical server. So it can install flows on physical
network devices also.

         What about physical devices which doesn't support open flow. how
does SDn controller take care of network provisioning by neutron.