[openstack-dev] [third-party-ci][neutron] What is "Success" exactly?

Sullivan, Jon Paul JonPaul.Sullivan at hp.com
Thu Jul 3 14:31:14 UTC 2014

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Anita Kuno [mailto:anteaya at anteaya.info]
> Sent: 03 July 2014 15:06
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [third-party-ci][neutron] What is "Success"
> exactly?

I guess you missed this last time - the mail had gotten quite long :D

> >> Hi Jon Paul: (Is it Jon Paul or Jon?)
> >
> > Hi Anita - it's Jon-Paul or JP.
> >

> > But there is a second side to what you were saying which was the
> developer feedback.  I guess I am suggesting that if you are putting a
> system in place for developers to vote on the 3rd party CI, should that
> same system be in effect for the Openstack check/gate jobs?
> >
> It already is, it is called #openstack-infra. All day long (the 24 hour
> day) developers drop in and tell us exactly how they feel about any
> aspect of OpenStack Infrastructure. They let us know when documentation
> is confusing, when things are broken, when a patch should have been
> merged and failed to be, when Zuul is caught in a retest loop and
> occasionally when we get something right.

I had presumed this to be the case, and I guess this is the first port of call when developers have questions on 3rd-party CI?  If so, then a very interesting metric that would speak to the reliability of the 3rd CI might be responsiveness to irc questions?

> OpenStack Infra logs can be found here:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-infra/
>
> I don't think having an irc channel for third party is practical because
> it simply will split infra resources and I have my doubts about how
> responsive folks would be in it. Hence my suggestion of the pages to
> allow developers to share the kind of information they share in
> openstack-infra all the time.

Yes - I can understand your viewpoint on this, and it makes sense to have a forum where developers can raise commetns or concerns and those responsible for the 3rd party CI can respond.