[openstack-dev] [Neutron][QA] Enabling full neutron Job

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed Jul 2 15:57:15 UTC 2014

Hi again,

>From my analysis most of the failures affecting the neutron full job are
because of bugs [1] and [2] for which patch [3] and [4] have been proposed.
Both patches address the nova side of the neutron/nova notification system
for vif plugging.
It is worth noting that these bugs did manifest only in the neutron full
job not because of its "full" nature, but because of its "parallel" nature.

Openstackers with a good memory will probably remember we fixed the
parallel job back in January, before the massive "kernel bug" gate outage
[5]. However, since parallel testing was unfortunately never enabled on the
smoke job we run on the gate, we allowed new bugs to slip in.
For this reason I would recommend the following:
- once patches [3] and [4] have been reviewed and merge, re-assess neutron
full job failure rate over a period of 48 hours (72 if the period includes
at least 24 hours within a weekend - GMT time)
- turn neutron full job to voting if the previous step reveals a failure
rate below 10%, otherwise go back to the drawing board

In my opinion whether the full job should be enabled in an asymmetric
fashion or not should be a decision for the QA and Infra teams. Once the
full job is made voting there will inevitably be a higher failure rate. An
asymmetric gate will not cause backlogs on other projects, so less angry
people, but as Matt said it will still allow other bugs to slip in.
Personally I'm ok either way.

The reason why we're expecting a higher failure rate on the full job is
that we have already observed that some "known" bugs, such as the various
lock timeout issues affecting neutron tend to show with a higher frequency
on the full job because of its parallel nature.

Salvatore

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1329546
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1333654
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/99182/